OUR MISSION, WHAT WE DO AND
What we do: We serve approximately 500 businesses and property owners in Downtown Red Deer, Alberta.
Our Mission: The Red Deer Downtown Buisness Association will build an engaged Downtown community, develop a Downtown brand and enhance the Downtown experince.
Member Benefits: Any business located within the Business Improvement Area (BIA) is a member of the Downtown Business Association. Learn more about the benefits of your membership in this section. Read More.
Board of Directors: The DBA succeeds due to the involvement and direction we receive through the volunteer Board of Directors. The DBA Board of Directors operates under a governance model by ensuring the organization supports its objectives and fulfills its fiduciary (legal) obligations. Read More.
What We Do
We serve approximately 500 businesses in Red Deer’s Downtown core located in a designated Business Improvement Area (BIA), shown in the grey area.
Our 2020-2022 Goals
The goals of the organization fall into the following three main areas and stem from our 2020 - 2022 Strategic Plan:
Your annual levy is calculated by The City of Red Deer on an annual basis based on the space occupied by the business and collectively, this amount makes up approximately 65% of the DBA annual budget. The budget is approved first by the DBA Board of Directors and then through Council. The remaining 35% of the budget is raised through contracts and grant funding to allow the DBA to deliver on the expectation of our businesses.
The Clean Team
The DBA's Clean Team works hard to ensure Downtown is a clean and safe place to visit and do business. They start in the early morning hours and much of their work is complete before the business day begins. The responsibilities of this small team include:
Downtown Investment Attraction Plan
A partnership between the Downtown Business Association and The City of Red Deer, this plan was approved and adopted by Red Deer City Council in May 2016.
With the expert assistance of consultants, the project was created to identify the key economic opportunities and drivers within our Downtown. Each of the opportunities identified build on the successes to date to ensure we will be investment-ready moving into the future. More interestingly, it provided some key findings on the type of businesses we should focus on attracting to the Downtown. It also details a parking strategy for the area along with a strategy for The City to encourage development on vacant lots.
Click here for more information and to access the entire Downtown Investment Attraction Plan.
The 20 Ingredients of an Outstanding Downtown
Many of our projects and initiatives are based on Roger Brooks’ The 20 Ingredients of an Outstanding Downtown which contains excellent recommendations on making our Downtown a thriving destination for residents and visitors to our city.
Downtown Red Deer is a vibrant, diverse, engaged & healthy community.
The Red Deer Downtown Business Association will:
Strategic Plan 2020 - 2022
Our current strategic plan focuses on the following three key pillars:
ENGAGED & HEALTHY COMMUNITY
Board of Directors
The DBA succeeds due to the involvement and direction we receive from our volunteer Board of Directors. The Board operates under a governance model by ensuring the organization supports its objectives and fulfills its fiduciary (legal) obligations. The main purposes of the Board are to:
Each of our Directors works at, owns or operates a business in the BIA and, collectively, are responsible for setting the strategic direction of the association which is achieved through the leadership of the Executive Director and her team. For a list of current members, click here.
The vision for our city’s downtown continues to play a central role in our progress and well being as a city. Downtown revitalization projects, both private and public, have contributed to our current business and retail environment creating an enhanced commercial district that will ultimately attract new businesses, new jobs and increased visibility.
Downtown Red Deer is a dynamic mixture of retail shops, coffee houses, restaurants, ethnic food, professional services as well as arts and entertainment, positioning Downtown Red Deer as a unique destination for residents and visitors to our community. With many new revitalization projects, specialized retail opportunities and special events, Downtown Red Deer is becoming the diverse, attractive and desirable core of our city.
To learn more about what your DBA has been working on, view our recent Annual Reports by clicking the links below:
Frequently Asked Questions
Learn more about Downtown Red Deer with these answers to some of our most frequently asked questions.
When and how was the Red Deer Downtown Business Association formed?
In response to a petition by Downtown businesses, in late 1983, Red Deer City Council passed a by-law establishing the Red Deer Downtown Business Association (DBA) as a Business Revitalization Zone under the Municipal Government Act. The association is funded primarily by a business tax levy on the net annual rental value of the area occupied by a business located within the BRZ. Everyone benefits, so everyone pays.
What is a BIA?
A Business Improvement Area (BIA) is formed under the Municipal Government Act (MGA) and is governed by a set of bylaws that designates the zone and allows for a levy to be applied to businesses within the BRZ to improve and promote the area. The BRZ is guided by a volunteer governance board whose members are elected members of the BRZ and/or appointed by Red Deer City Council.
Is the Downtown Business Association (DBA) part of The City of Red Deer organization?
No. However, in order to advocate for the needs of the businesses and fulfil the DBA strategic objectives, it is in the best interests of the DBA to maintain a positive relationship wherever possible.
How is the DBA funded?
The DBA is funded primarily by a levy that is imposed on all businesses within the BRZ. By occupying a space within the boundaries, the levy is automatically applied at City level when preparing tax notices. The BRZ levy makes up approximately 65% of the DBA budget, the remaining 35% comes from contracts and grants. The combined sources of income allow the DBA to deliver all of the programs and services as laid out in the strategic plan and in more detail throughout the website. The levy alone does generate enough income to maintain the level of service provided.
Is the Red Deer Public Market (held on Saturdays) organized by the Downtown Business Association?
No. The DBA organizes the ATB Downtown Market, held Wednesdays from 3:30-6:30 p.m. The organizer of the Red Deer Public Market (Dennis Moffat) can be reached at 403.346.6443.
I have questions about social issues that are affecting my Downtown business. Who should I contact?
Downtown Red Deer Businesses face a number of challenges on a daily basis, from drug and needle debris to graffiti to pan handling and loitering. This is not unusual in any city and we will never be able to entirely eradicate it, however, it is our responsibility in the community to provide support where possible and to identify clear boundaries around acceptable behaviour.
To counteract these challenges, the DBA has a number of resources available. Whatever you are experiencing, please contact the DBA and share it with us – we can help. We have access to needle pick-up, staff training, and one-on-one sessions with your business to look at crime prevention solutions that can even be partly funded by the DBA.
For more information or to discuss an issue, contact Sandy at firstname.lastname@example.org or 403.340.8696.